The PMG (Russian: Противогаз Малогабаритный — "Small mask") was designed in the Soviet Union during the Cold War. First made in 1963, this mask was used in the Soviet Union, Hungary and Bulgaria during the 1970s.
The mask has two flat circular glass eyepieces, which can fit anti-fog inserts, to aid in the use of optical equipment. There is a speech diaphragm located under a removable cover on the front of the mask, and a doubled exhalation valve located towards the bottom of the mask, under the diaphragm. The mask takes a GOST-compliant filter to the side, in a thread unusually made from rubber. The PMG has a strap at the back of the mask, its purpose being to allow a better seal, but the mask is secure on the head without its use being employed. The holes on the helmet part of the mask were made for ventilation of the head so the chances of a wearer overheating would be greatly reduced.
The EO-18k filters come in a tan-olive coloured cylindrical aluminium alloy canister with the same coloured cap.
Components of the PMG kit
- Facepiece ShMG
- EO-18k filter
- Hydrophobic socket for filters
- Plastic bag for the filter to avoid decontamination liquid entering into the filter
- Type G bag (ГОСТ 13387-67)
- Anti-fog stickers (optional)
- Spare membranes tin
- IPP-8 or IPP-51
Also called as PMG, it differs from the Soviet PMG only on the membrane cover which is nearly the same as the 70M. It is still in main service.
Main article: 70M
The Hungarian licensed version differs slightly from the Soviet mask by featuring a higher number of smaller holes in the voice diaphragm, has Hungarian markings and made of a cheaper worse quality rubber. The glass eyepieces are one layered on the 70M while the ShMG has double-layered ones. Hungary also used left-handed ShMG facepieces with 70M membrane covers.
- This gas mask was thought to be used by the cleanup teams known as Liquidators during the cleanup after Chernobyl nuclear powerplant disaster when in reality the PMG-2 was used.
- The masks worn by Civil Protection and Combine Soldiers in Half-Life 2 are based on this mask. (see Gas Masks in Video Games)
- A PMG is worn by the operator Minotaur with the season 6 tier 2 battle pass skin POLOSKI for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare multiplayer.
- PMG manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2IT5sLzLGdDbXNsN1VJTUduamM/view